Facebook hits again. Businesses woke up two days ago on a shocking statement from Mark Zuckerberg announcing the end of the news feed as we know it today.
Zuckerberg stated that public posts from pages and publishers are going to be diminished in a substantial way from news feed.
This is not really something new for those who have been following social media updates. As from last year (2017) Facebook started making changes in this direction.
However, those who weren’t ready, or thought that Mark will change his mind got hit by the wave.
Facebook wants people to spend less time using it.
Zuckerberg says that “by making these changes, I expect the time people spend on Facebook and some measures of engagement will go down. But I also expect the time you do spend on Facebook will be more valuable“
This will change the marketing plan for all brands and business and heat up content writing skills.
I can hear you saying,” I’ll just increase my Facebook ad budget”. Think again before taking such a decision.
Studies show that last year (2017) investment in ads increased by an estimated 41%. So for how long can you keep investing and increasing your budget?
In a word, investing in social media is a good way to reach people, but having your own owned media is even better.
Website is king NOW.
Whether you’re B2B or B2C company, a website should always be a key part of your digital identity.
As I mentioned above, paid media is good but when you invest in having your own website you can always assure that you’re investing in the right place.
Your website is your own property; no one can change the rules of it or deactivate it one day, which is what can happen on social media.
Think about it, with all the changes happening on Facebook today, you may lose all your efforts overnight.
Organic reach is dead, and now competition in paid Ads will be on fire.
The sooner you take a step and start building a website the better your brand will be.
Why having a website?
Having your own website come with too many features:
- Your customers can access your website 24/7, so while you’re sleeping your website will keep generating more sales for you, or keep spreading awareness about your brand based your website type.
- Cost Effective: think of your website as an investment so don’t get cheap on it, and make sure you check the company portfolio before signing a contract. This way you’ll know you’re working with the right people. However, this doesn’t mean adding all the features and end up paying thousands of money, it’s all about the secret formula of smart investment
- It’s a great way to gain trust from your customers and improve the professional image of your business.
- You get to design it based on your customers’ desires in order to direct your customers to take the right action.
- You can always use social platforms to direct people to your website, this way in case social platforms change their Ad policies, people can still access your website.
Joining smartphones era.
Having a mobile app is an alternative way to stay connected with your customers and keep them engaged with your brand.
Mobile app users spend a significant amount of time on smartphones daily, it will be good to have your brand seen on their screen several times
In addition, a mobile application can be a great way to personalize your customers’ experience.
Marketing policies on social media platforms are constantly changing, and not all businesses can cope with these changes. Therefore, finding a new channel to advertise your work can save your brand identity online.
Investing in owned media is a must, but it doesn’t mean ignoring social media platforms. Rather, it’s about directing your audience from the paid media channels to your owned media channels.